Step 1. Confirm Google Duo will work on your device.
- Your phone, tablet or laptop must have Android 7.0 operating system or greater and must have a camera turned on; can use built-in microphone or plug-in headphones.
- Common brands are Samsung Galaxy, Google Pixel, HP and Moto G. Devices not supported include OS Android 6.0 and lower, ChromeOS, Huawei, OnePlus, LineageOS, or ColorOS.
- System information is generally under Settings > About Tablet/Phone/Computer > Software Information.
Step 2. Make sure Google Duo is installed.
- If you see the Google Duo icon, tap it and continue with the instructions for accepting a video call. If not, follow instructions for phone and tablet or computer.
- On your phone or tablet, go the the Google Play Store and search for Google Duo. Click on download and install Google Duo. Tap Get and Install. Once downloaded select Open.
- On your computer, open duo.google.com.
- For troubleshooting information, go to Google Duo support.
Step 3A: If you want to use your phone number as your contact, please ensure your phone number is correct and verified.
- Enter your phone number and verify it is correct. Tap Agree.
- Duo will send a code in a one-time SMS message to the number that you entered. (Carrier text-message rates may apply.) Enter the code that you received in the text message.
- If you don’t receive a text message, tap Resend SMS.
- If you have a cell connection and aren’t getting the SMS, request a call by tapping Call me.
Step 3B: If you want to use an email address as your contact, please ensure your email is correct and verified.
- You can choose to skip providing a phone number and instead add your Google account email address.
- Click on the Settings icon (a round gear) open Account and add your Google account email address. Turn on the option “People can contact you using your email address.”
- If you already use Duo on another device with your Google Account, sign in with the same account to finish setup.
- To connect your Google Account, tap Agree.
Step 4. Sign in to Google Duo.
- Click on the icon or go in to Settings and scroll to select Google Duo.
- Sign in to your Google Account. If you use Duo on another device with your Google Account, you need to sign in to your phone or tablet with the same Google account.
- Select “I agree” to Google Duo’s terms of service.
- You can check the information under Settings > Account. Provide the phone number or email listed in the account to use as your contact.
- Ensure Wi-Fi Calling in on. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi Calling and tap On.